Air Force Personnel Center Medical Technologist in Elmendorf AFB, Alaska
Perform, advise on, or supervise clinical laboratory testing of human blood, urine, and other body fluids or tissues, using manual or automated techniques
Learn more about this agency
- Confirm test results and developed data that may be used by physicians in determining the presence and extent of disease or in support of medical research
- Modify or design laboratory procedures. Establish and monitor quality control systems and measures
- Provide instruction in the basic theory, technical skills, and application of laboratory test procedures
- Work in such areas as hematology, bacteriology, mycology, virology, parasitology, immunology, serology, immunohematology (blood banking), and clinical chemistry (including endocrinology and toxicology) as they relate to clinical laboratory practice
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
0644 Medical Technologist
- Clinical Laboratory Technologists
- Medical And Clinical Laboratory Technologists
- Medical Laboratory Technologists
- Technologists, Clinical Laboratory
Technologists, Medical Laboratory
Conditions of Employment
- Please read this Public Notice in its entirety prior to submitting your application for consideration.
- U.S. Citizenship is required
- Males must be registered for Selective Service, see www.sss.gov
- Total salary varies depending on location of position
- PCS expenses if authorized will be paid IAW JTR and Air Force Regulations
- Recruitment incentives may be authorized
- Position may be subject to random drug testing
- Employee may be required to work other than normal duty hours, to include evenings, weekends and/or holidays
- Shift work and emergency overtime may be required
- Employee must maintain current certifications
- A security clearance may be required
- Disclosure of Political Appointments
- This position is subject to provisions of the DOD Priority Placement Program
- Per National Defense Authorization Act (NDAA) of fiscal year (FY) 2017. Section 1111 modifies 5 United States Code (U.S.C.) 3326; Veterans who are retiring within 180 days of appointment effective date may require a 180 day waiver package
SPECIALIZED EXPERIENCE: GS-05: Applicants who meet the basic requirements described in the individual occupational requirements are fully qualified for the specified entry grade (generally grade GS-5).
GS-07: Applicants must have 1 year of specialized experiences at the next lower grade GS-05 which includes knowledge of basic professional medical technology principles, practices, and concepts to carry out routine testing in the laboratory areas of specimen procurement, transfusion, hematology, chemistry, microbiology, serology, and urinalysis; demonstrate ability to apply knowledge of the specificity, sensitivity, sources of error, and interpretation of results to analytical procedures performed; identify the causes of problems(technical, instrumental, or physiological) and consults with laboratory senior staff members/managers on alternatives to determine solutions.
GS-09: Applicants must have 1 year of specialized experiences at the next lower grade GS-07 which includes professional knowledge in medical technology principles, practices, and concepts sufficient to develop, evaluate and modify procedures, and to recognize when additional tests are needed to confirm a diagnosis or determine the appropriate treatment plan, and to recommend those additional tests and procedures to the medical staff; knowledge and skill to perform complex and difficult tests in the section; knowledge sufficient to establish Quality Control, Quality Assurance and PM procedures for the section and to maintain, review, and? revise operating instructions.
GS-10: Applicants must have 1 year of specialized experiences at the next lower grade GS-09 which includes performing work in support of (1) the general field of medical technology, (2) one of the disciplines or specialized areas of medical technology, or (3) a field directly related and applicable to medical technology or the position being filled. The work also included: a) provide high quality, full clinical laboratory diagnostic testing support to health care providers to facilitate effective patient care; b) provide reliable referral laboratory services to other military hospitals located in the same geographic area; c) ensure full war readiness capability for laboratory services by active participation in blood donor activities; d) and provide effective training support to the Phase II Medical Laboratory Training Program, establishing and monitoring quality control systems and measures; and providing instruction in the basic theory, technical skills, and application of laboratory test procedures.
GS-11: Applicants must have 1 year of specialized experiences at the next lower grade GS-10 which includes professional knowledge of wide range of medical technology principles, concepts, and methodology to develop and implement a full-service laboratory program; a high level of skill in applying this knowledge in solving very complex problems involving more than one section of a clinical laboratory; knowledge of mathematical and statistical processes sufficient to calculate and convert analytical data to test results.
GS-12: Applicants must have 1 year of specialized experiences at the next lower grade GS-11 which includes professional knowledge of wide range of medical technology principles, concepts, and methodology to develop and implement a full-service laboratory program; a high level of skill in applying this knowledge in solving very complex problems involving more than one section of a clinical laboratory; knowledge of mathematical and statistical processes sufficient to calculate and convert analytical data to test results; knowledge of quality control, workload reporting, and proficiency testing to assure the reliability of data and measure laboratory productivity; management, administrative, and professional knowledge sufficient to effectively manage the work carried out in the laboratory; skill in evaluating new tests and instruments and modifying and adapting standard methods and procedures; and knowledge and skill sufficient to use and maintain complicated laboratory instruments/equipment.
GS-13: Applicants must have?1 year?of specialized experiences at the next lower grade GS-12 which includes professional knowledge of wide range of medical technology principles, concepts, and methodology to develop and implement a full-service laboratory program; a high level of skill in applying this knowledge in solving very complex problems involving more than one section of a clinical laboratory; knowledge of mathematical and statistical processes sufficient to calculate and convert analytical data to test results; knowledge of quality control, workload reporting, and proficiency testing to assure the reliability of data and measure laboratory productivity; management, administrative, and professional knowledge sufficient to effectively manage the work carried out in the laboratory; skill in evaluating new tests and instruments and modifying and adapting standard methods and procedures; knowledge and skill sufficient to use and maintain complicated laboratory instruments/equipment; knowledge of technical, physiological, and mechanical indicators of malfunction (e.g., instrument functions, reaction systems) sufficient to locate and correct errors; knowledge of physiological correlation sufficient to check the validity of results; knowledge of accrediting/regulatory agency requirements sufficient to ensure that work is consistent with appropriate standards; and skill to provide advisory, reviewing, inspecting and training or problem solving services on specific laboratory problems, programs, and/or functions to MTF leadership and staff.
To view qualifying educational requirements and/or combination of education and specialized experience click on the following link: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/#url=table
Click on the following link to view occupational requirements for this position: https://www.opm.gov/policy-data-oversight/classification-qualifications/general-schedule-qualification-standards/0600/medical-technologist-series-0644/
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES (*KSAs*): Your qualifications will be evaluated on the basis of your level of knowledge, skills, abilities and/or competencies in the following areas: 1. Knowledge of medical technology concepts, principles and practices sufficient to develop, evaluate and modify procedures. 2. Ability to analyze, review and interpret test results. 3. Knowledge of instruments, equipment and systems; and their technical and mechanical indicators of malfunction; and to correct and prevent errors and problems. 4. Knowledge of medico legal, regulatory, accreditation standards, and Federal and state laws to ensure work is consistent with standards. 5. Ability to establish and monitor quality control and quality assurance programs. 6. Skill in explaining and instructing on various aspects of medical technology practices, concepts and methodologies and in planning and organizing a training program. 7. Knowledge of safety and security regulations, practices and procedures.
PART-TIME OR UNPAID EXPERIENCE:Credit will be given for appropriate unpaid and or part-time work. You must clearly identify the duties and responsibilities in each position held and the total number of hours per week.
VOLUNTEER WORK EXPERIENCE:Refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service Programs (i.e., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community; student and social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge and skills that can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
Additional Information: This announcement may be used to fill one or more vacancies. Duties and responsibilities vary and may increase according to grade level. This public notice may be used to fill target grades (e.g. GS-05 Target GS-13).
IF USING EDUCATION TO QUALIFY: You MUST provide transcripts to support your educational claims. Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed in foreign colleges or universities may be used to meet the requirements. You must show proof the education credentials have been deemed to be at least equivalent to that gained in conventional U.S. education program. It is your responsibility to provide such evidence when applying.
Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (ICTAP*):* For information on how to apply as an ICTAP eligible click here. To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced Federal employees must be rated in the "Highly Qualified" or "Best Qualified" Category on the rating criteria for this vacancy. You must submit a copy of the agency notice, your most recent performance rating, and your most recent SF-50 noting position, grade level, and duty location.
Employed Annuitants (*Reemployed* Annuitants):Applicants in receipt of an annuity based on civilian employment in the Federal Service are subject to the DoD Policy on The Employment of Annuitants. Click here for more information.
Temporary and Term Appointments: If you are selected for a temporary or term position in the competitive service, your appointment may be extended to the maximum period allowed by law without further competition. Additionally, if you are serving on a term appointment in the competitive service, you may be converted to a career or career-conditional appointment without further competition. NOTE: Current federal civilian employees may apply for this position and if selected, a break in service of at least 3 days may be required prior to appointment to this position.
Selective Service: Males born after 12-31-59 must be registered or exempt from Selective Service. For additional information, click here.
Direct Deposit: All federal employees are required to have direct deposit.
If you have questions regarding this announcement and have hearing or speech difficulties click here.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
Your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications.
Your application package (resume, supporting documents, and responses to the questionnaire) will be used to determine your eligibility, qualifications, and quality ranking for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your rating or consideration for employment.
Your responses to the questionnaire may be compared to the documents you submit. The documents you submit must support your responses to the online questionnaire. If your application contradicts or does not support your questionnaire responses, you will receive a rating of "not qualified" or "insufficient information" and you will not receive further consideration for this job.
Applicants who disqualify themselves will not be evaluated further.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete Application Package which includes:
- Your Resume (your latest resume will be used to determine your qualifications)
- If you submit more than one copy of your resume, only the most recent (latest) version will be reviewed. The latest timestamp will be used to determine which version of your resume is "most recent." It is your responsibility to check the status and timestamp of all documents you submit as part of your application.
- If your resume includes a photograph or other inappropriate material or content, you will not be considered for this vacancy.
- For qualification determinations your resume must contain hours worked per week and dates of employment (i.e., hours per week and month/year to month/year or month/year to present). If your resume does not contain this information, your application may be marked as insufficient and you will not receive consideration for this position.
- A complete Application Questionnaire
- Additional Required Documents (see Required Documents section below). Ensure all submitted documents contain your full name, address, phone number, and last four digits of your social security number.
Background checks and security clearance
- Required Documents
The following documents are required and must be provided with your application for this Public Notice:
- Online Application - Questionnaire
- Resume - must include beginning and ending month and year for each employment period
- Transcripts - if qualifying based on education or positive education series
- Registration/License - active, current registration/license if applicable for the position
- Veterans' Preference - a copy of your DD Form 214 which must include character of service or a Statement of Service/Proof of Service which must include service dates and character of service. In addition, if claiming 10-point preference you must submit a VA Letter or a disability determination from a branch of the Armed Forces (or documentation of Purple Heart, if applicable) and a SF 15 (Application for 10-point veteran preference). ACTIVE DUTY SERVICE MEMBERS: The VOW Act Chapter 21 of Title 5, United States Code (U.S.C.), Section 2108a, requires Federal agencies treat active duty service member as veterans, disabled veterans, and preference eligible, when they submit, at the time they apply for a Federal job, a "certification" of active service in lieu of a DD-214, assuming the service member is otherwise eligible. A "certification" letter should be on letterhead of the appropriate military branch of the service and contain (1) the military service dates including the expected discharge or release date; and (2) the character of service. The service member's military service dates are necessary in order to determine whether he or she meets the definition of "veteran" under 5 U.S.C. 2108(1). The "certification" must reflect the service member is expected to be discharged or released from active duty service in the armed forces under honorable conditions not later than 120 days after the date of submission. The "certification" must be signed by, or by direction of, the adjutant, personnel officer, or commander of your unit or higher headquarters and must indicate when your terminal leave will begin (if applicable), your rank, dates of active duty service, the type of discharge and character of service (i.e. honorable). Further, under paragraph (h) of the rule, agencies are required to verify a qualifying separation from military service prior to appointment, through the DD-214 or other appropriate documentation. Your preference and/or appointment eligibility will be verified prior to appointment. Active duty members that fail to provide a valid "certification" of service with their initial application will be found "not eligible." Military members may be appointed before the effective date of their military retirement/separation if member is on terminal leave.
If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
- How to Apply
How to Apply
The complete Application Package must be submitted by 11:59 PM (ET) on 07/31/2018.
To preview the Application Questionnaire, please click the following link: https://apply.usastaffing.gov/ViewQuestionnaire/10174708
To begin the process, click the* Apply Onlinebutton to create an account or log in to your existing USAJOBS account. Follow the prompts to complete the application questionnaire. Please ensure you click the *Submit My Applicationbutton at the end of the process.
If you are unable to apply online, view the following link for information regarding Alternate Application.
PLEASE NOTE: It is the applicant's responsibility to verify that information entered and/or uploaded, (i.e., resume) is received, accurate, and submitted by the closing date. You may verify your documents have been processed with your application package successfully. You can access your USAJOBS account to do so by clicking here. Uploaded documents may take up to one hour to clear the virus scan.
Human Resources WILL NOTmodify or change any answers submitted by an applicant.
Agency contact information
Total Force Service Center
EHA DHA 550 C Street W JBSA Randolph AFB, TX US
Learn more about this agency
After you submit your application, you will be contacted if further evaluation or interviews are required.
Your application will remain active through the open period of this Public Notice. Once this Public Notice closes, you must reapply.
- Fair & Transparent
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application and hiring process should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period
This job originated on www.usajobs.gov. For the full announcement and to apply, visit www.usajobs.gov/GetJob/ViewDetails/496284700. Only resumes submitted according to the instructions on the job announcement listed at www.usajobs.gov will be considered.
Open & closing dates: 04/01/2018 to 07/31/2018
Salary: $33,394 to $113,428 per year
Pay scale & grade: GS 5 - 13
Work schedule: Multiple Schedules
Appointment type: Multiple Appointment Types